pictures of lily

..And like every minute of the day..(pt)

Monday, May 14

SUNSHINE WISH APRIL 2007. (SUNSHINEWISHFOUNDATION.ORG)


My daughter received a Sunshine Wish to go to Florida's Discovery Cove and interact with a dolphin named Aki. My daughter has ONH - an extremely rare disease causing her to have blindness and hormone deficiencies..


It was a hard trip as she was a wee bit difficult.. to say the least! I guess being out of her element and brought to several large parks/places without being able to map out each place in her head, was most of the reason she was quite "over the top".


Both my girls are lovely and haven't had their fathers in their lives as much as most kids would hope for. My youngest is a challenge, one I deal with everyday (even whilst visiting with her father) and will for the rest of my life more than likely as a single parent. I don't have time for a relationship that's serious! BUT she has progressed well cognitively and developmentally even after all the emotional trauma she encountered when her father and I split (It happens to at least 50% of couples that have a child with a disability, mom puts too much time into the child and therefore, neglects dad.) So in retrospect, I think it was a good thing. :-) Being "free" is nice!

That being said, here's some pix of us in Florida.





Jo and I beneath a giant mushroom in our cottage bedroom.




Aki kissing Jo. The trainers at Discovery Cove were just amazing! Every part (well almost!) that was visible of the dolphin to the guests, they made darn sure that Jo felt it and understood the shape and beauty of this amazing animal!!!!





Al and Jo, Jo being silly..


Jo, me and Aki.


A peacock. Not sure if he was scared or feeling a bit randy..


Jo with her long white cane we named "Clancy" many years ago.. going into lagoon. It was amusing watching the looks she received from people thinking that because she was blind, she was heading for disaster into the water... I was very near, and she went in like she should! HaHa to them. I like to make statements but underneath, I'm the biggest worry wort!
The highlight.. David Caruso was our pilot and played "The Who" through the intercom the whole flight.. Thanks David!!!

Labels:

6 Comments:

  • At 1:05 PM, Blogger PDBT said…

    Lucy:
    Looks like you and Jo had an amazing time. Hadn't heard a peep from you in a while and just wanted to stop by and sey hey, so HEY!

    All my best to you & yours
    -Lin

     
  • At 12:28 PM, Blogger Suesjoy said…

    Aw beautiful post Lucy!
    I already carried on on MySPace about the pic of you, Jo and the dolphin...you should frame that one!
    Sorry it was a hard trip for you, though.
    You are a wonderful mom- I think it's great that Jo is pretty fearless (I remember how you told me she skis!).
    Plus you turned her into a rock solid Who fan! :)

    I will be in your neck of the woods very soon!
    Yay!

    Take care my dear.
    Love,
    Suexxxx

     
  • At 2:46 PM, Blogger pictures of lily said…

    Thanks guys and yes what a Who fan she is!! Requests many songs, made a Lifehouse method (actually stole 2 of my 3 sittings and took to them to school!)
    Just had her IEP and she is above average in reading and writing! I'm thrilled!! All that Braille time has paid off.
    I may emerge from the hole, or at least take a peep out :-)

    Nice to hear from you guys!!
    Today is a better day.

     
  • At 7:55 AM, Blogger Suesjoy said…

    Oh EXCELLENT about Jo's test scores Lucy!! WELL DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    You should be very proud of her (and yourself TOO).
    I think being a mom is the best job on the planet (besides teaching!).
    There's a book called , You Are Your Child's First Teacher, and it's true, we are.
    It can be very very rewarding.

    Oh Lucy you have NO idea the hell I went through when Anjoli freaked out. It really hurt me - literally and figuratively!
    She's ok now...and no more smoking for Sues!!!!
    It actually was starting to make my stomach sick so it's not a big deal to quit anyway.
    Sue and her oral fixation...what to do?
    :)

    yes i am up at my normal regular ungodly hour....
    i wake up everyday at 4:30! I think I should just join a Buddhist Monestary - they wake up wicked early and meditate for world peace.
    I honestly feel like I could do that one day.....atone for my BADNESS, attain Nirvana...die.
    The end.

    Bye sweetie!
    Have a good day!!!
    Love ya,
    Suexxxx

    haha my word verif is SLAZP.
    I need a good slazp I think!

     
  • At 7:38 PM, Blogger pictures of lily said…

    HeHe.. our local paper did a little story on my babe!!
    she's been in a lot as I tend to show her off!

    Happy Birthday Pete Townshend!!!
    We adore you.

     
  • At 6:20 PM, Blogger phil said…

    Wow, thanks for sharing your pictures. I think your daughters are definately in good, loving hands. What a great and memorable experience it must have been to be with the dolphin. The sunshine foundation is doing some great things. It's always good to hear from a ITA and Who fan, thanks for stopping by my blog. Since I'm in the UK now, I'm going to raise a pint in your honor, in your homeland.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home